Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention
Have you checked out the Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Ambrose Maple NE Bowl- Winner TOTW 1-7-2018

Jim Seyfried

Ambrose Maple NE Bowl- Winner TOTW 1-7-2018

Post by Jim Seyfried » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:08 am

This natural edge bowl is 16"x11" and 5 1/2" tall. I put four legs on this one so it might be a rocker sometime. I did let it dry for several months before finishing it. On this one I used CA glue on the bark. It is finished with Danish oil and Beall buffed.
nemaple305.jpg
nemaple314.jpg
nemaple318.jpg
Play safe...don't forget your protective gear!

Mike Cruz

Re: Ambrose Maple NE Bowl

Post by Mike Cruz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am

Beautiful curves and beautiful finish...what's not to like. Except the feet...if you don't like feet. :lol: I'm getting used to your turnings having feet, Jim. I'd actually be surprised to see them without feet at this point. One thing I do feel like I have to say about them, on this piece at least...the entire form seems very elegant and...flowy. Yet the feet seem a bit rigid and plain. I'm not sure how easily one/you could make them more elegant...by turning their profile in an ogee or something? I don't know...just thinking out loud. :1thumbup
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Post by Curt Fuller » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:18 pm

You sure have the touch for these natural edged bowls. They just seem to flow like no others I've seen. And you nail those feet in height, position, and size. What a beautiful bowl!

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Post by Bob Rotche » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 am

Really nice. Great idea to go with an ogee curve on a natural edge bowl giving it sort of a refined rusticity. Not sure why we don't see that more often. Will have to give it a try.

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Mike Cruz wrote:Beautiful curves and beautiful finish...what's not to like. Except the feet...if you don't like feet. :lol: I'm getting used to your turnings having feet, Jim. I'd actually be surprised to see them without feet at this point. One thing I do feel like I have to say about them, on this piece at least...the entire form seems very elegant and...flowy. Yet the feet seem a bit rigid and plain. I'm not sure how easily one/you could make them more elegant...by turning their profile in an ogee or something? I don't know...just thinking out loud. :1thumbup
Thanks Mike! I agree with you on the feet. You should have seen it before I started carving them. :lol: Probably why it sat on my shelf for so long. I do like it more now that it's finished. I think an ogee or at least some curve in the transition to feet would have worked better. I have sketch books in both the shop and house and should draw up some different styles. Oh and I actually do have some recent bowls without feet. Honest.

Thanks Curt and Bob! I appreciate your comments!

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Post by Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

This is a beautiful bowl, and I do wonder how you managed to keep all that bark on the piece. Shows your skill as a turner, I suppose. As far as the feet are concerned: I do like them, and I don't think they need to be a different shape. I do think, though, that if they were a little less prominent, i.e. a little shorter, it would work better. And, if my eyes don't betray me, the first picture shows that they are not sitting equally on a flat surface. There's definitely one leg up in the air.

Fred Belknap

Post by Fred Belknap » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm

I have recently been making several bowls mostly NE with feet. Some have 4 feet and some have 3. With 3 feet the problem of wobble is eliminated. Doing feet sure adds a lot of work to a bowl. You did a great job on this bowl and I do like the feet.

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Fred, I got in a string of 'footed bowls' for a while. I had to raise my prices because of the extra time associated with them. People really didn't seem to give a rat's rear end about the beaded foot, and didn't seem happy to pay for it, either. So, I stopped... That's not saying that you, Jim, or anyone else shouldn't do it. Rather, my customers just didn't care whether it was there or not...

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Post by Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

I suspect that most of your customers don't buy your bowls to put them on display, they buy them so they can use them, and in that case their point of view makes perfect sense.
I have the very same issues with some of the more practical items I make (candle sticks, tealight holders, pill boxes, etc.) For those things I have a very clear policy: the bulk of what I make is strictly high-speed and simple finish, so that I can sell them for a reasonable price and still make some money. And then I make a few much more artistic pieces, where I don't look at the clock, and these sell for much more money, but there are only few people who appreciate the difference.
I suspect this bowl is in the latter category.

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 am

Many of my customers 'say' they want to be able to use it, but never do. My average bowl sale is $300 US. These are not 'intentionally' utilitarian bowls, but nothing says they cannot be. Yes, though, most of my bowls end up being display pieces, not used. But what is displayed is rarely ever the bottom. Now, if my pricepoint was $1000 US for my average bowl, maybe a beaded foot would be more welcome and appreciated. Who knows? But at this point, the majority of my sales range from $200-600...with most around the $300 range. Take that for what it is...numbers. I'm fortunate enough to have a market here that supports it, but I'm not getting rich on those numbers, either. Hell, it wouldn't be easy to just pay the bills with it, either!

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Post by Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am

Count yourself lucky. $300 equates to £225. You won't sell any bowl here in the UK for that money, never mind what size they are. Round here you are lucky to get £75 for a 12" bowl, and maybe £120 for a 16" bowl. Which goes a long way to explain why there are essentially no production bowl turners left in the UK.

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau wrote:This is a beautiful bowl, and I do wonder how you managed to keep all that bark on the piece. Shows your skill as a turner, I suppose. As far as the feet are concerned: I do like them, and I don't think they need to be a different shape. I do think, though, that if they were a little less prominent, i.e. a little shorter, it would work better. And, if my eyes don't betray me, the first picture shows that they are not sitting equally on a flat surface. There's definitely one leg up in the air.
I looked a few other bowls that I have with legs and I think it is a good point that shorter would be better. And your eyes are very good! I had also seen that, but thought it was just from my photo setup. Because I carefully made sure they were level a few days ago. However, I checked it out on the table before commenting and it doesn’t sit flat, possibly the difference in humidity between the shop and house? I’ll tune it up again and see what happens.

Thanks Wolfgang! Your observations are very helpful.

Fred Belknap wrote:I have recently been making several bowls mostly NE with feet. Some have 4 feet and some have 3. With 3 feet the problem of wobble is eliminated. Doing feet sure adds a lot of work to a bowl. You did a great job on this bowl and I do like the feet.
Fred, it seem on the more round bowls I put 3 legs on, but the oblong ones I have trouble deciding where to place them. I might have some OCD tendencies. :lol: Thanks Fred!
Mike Cruz wrote:Fred, I got in a string of 'footed bowls' for a while. I had to raise my prices because of the extra time associated with them. People really didn't seem to give a rat's rear end about the beaded foot, and didn't seem happy to pay for it, either. So, I stopped... That's not saying that you, Jim, or anyone else shouldn't do it. Rather, my customers just didn't care whether it was there or not...
Mike, I usually think of you when I'm doing a bit of decoration on the base or legs, especially if it is giving me trouble. :lol: If it was a business for me I would need a better market than is available to me to support the extra work. This is true with carving even more than decorating the base. And I do think that woodturners appreciate decorations on the base more than most people would. So I fully understand your position.

Marc Himes

Post by Marc Himes » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 pm

I've looked at this several time and really like it. Very thin, nice form and really cute feet. Well done, Jim.

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:56 am

Marc Himes wrote:I've looked at this several time and really like it. Very thin, nice form and really cute feet. Well done, Jim.
Thanks Marc!

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:05 am

Late to the party but wanted to say how much I like this bowl! Part of that is due to the ogee and part to the lift provided by the feet. Overall - a winning combination! Speaking of winning - I just saw that this piece won the cover honors over on WOW! Congrats! :clap:
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Curt Fuller

Post by Curt Fuller » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:31 am

Steve Schlumpf wrote: Speaking of winning - I just saw that this piece won the cover honors over on WOW! Congrats! :clap:
I'll second that!

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks Steve and Curt! Good think I have a stocking cap! :roflmao:

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Post by Tim Rinehart » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:07 am

Beautiful bowl, love the shallow ogee shape. The feet don’t bother me at all with shape, though you’re probably right that some tippiness may develop over time. Probably easily tweaked if it does.
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 am

Jim, my wife saw this one last night. She ooohed and aaaaahed over it! If she makes me start to do feet, be expecting a road trip from me to your place for good old fashion butt whoopin'!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao:

Michael Gibson

Post by Michael Gibson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

Jim, this really is a beautiful bowl. The ogee form, you nailed it, at 16' in length a pretty good size and appears to have a consistent thickness throughout. I don't mind the feet, it gives it some lift, maybe just a tad shorter, and l would stick with just three legs in the future. All this makes it my TOTW, congratulations on a wonderful piece.

Mike Cruz

Re: Ambrose Maple NE Bowl- Winner TOTW 1-7-2018

Post by Mike Cruz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Congrats, Jim! I'll let my wife know... ;)

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you, Michael, for this honor! Having such a nice piece of wood sure was a good start to make this bowl. I know that there are fewer problems by having three legs. But, being somewhat OCD I have a hard time deciding where to place three legs on natural edge, somewhat oblong bowls, round ones are no problem. I guess I should study how others place legs on them.

Thanks, for the comments, Tim and Mike! Mike I'm pleased your wife likes this! And if you head this way bring your golf clubs, you can whoop me on one of our beautiful golf courses. :roflmao: Besides, I might be doing you a favor, with the deep pocket customers you get, some feet on your small burls might pay off! :shrug:

Les Symonds

Post by Les Symonds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 am

Hi Jim....firstly, congratulations....and secondly, it came as no surprise because this is a stand-out piece. In a line-up of a hundred bowls there would be many that we wouldn't give a second glance to, but this one is going to grab attention wherever it is seen.
Les

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks Les!