Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

A couple of "designer" kitchen utensils

Curt Fuller

A couple of "designer" kitchen utensils

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:18 pm

For this first one, I think I may have invented something totally new. Worthless probably, but new none the less. I'm calling it the "Kitchen Spade". And if you had ever been subjected to my cooking, you would immediately see the usefulness of this new invention. About 15" long, walnut.
Walnut Kitchen Spade.JPG

This second one is something I'm calling a "Spatuloon". My wife says it looks more like a weapon than a kitchen utensil. But there are times in the kitchen when I feel like I could use a weapon. In reality, this is going to come in handy when I make my annual batch of salsa in one of those big canning pots. About 16" long, gambel oak.
Oak Spatuloon.JPG

And the last is just a spindle practice piece actually. A Spurtle from Fir (or maybe pine). I have a few of these in my arsenal and find they're pretty handy at times. Especially when you need something to prop a Kitchen Spade or a Spatuloon up against to take a picture. About a foot long, from a 2x2.
Fir Spurtle.JPG

Whatdoyathink!

Mike Stafford

Re: A couple of "designer" kitchen utensils

Postby Mike Stafford » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:56 am

I like all three of your tools and I personally think that all three have alternative uses.

The kitchen spade would indeed be useful to help dispose of kitchen misadventures involving using the smoke alarm as a timer.

The spatuloon would serve nicely to subdue unruly kitchen help as the old adage too many cooks in the kitchen does apply. One rap with the spatuloon should send them packing.

The spurtle, on the other hand, is a weapon that I try to exclude from my wife's arsenal. I have received far too many times a rap on the head far too many times from a spurtle that I made her which she wields with deadly accuracy when I am needed to unload the dishwasher.

Gotta go. Yes, dear, the dishwasher, I'm coming. No need for the spurtle.....
Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

No man has ever been killed by his wife while he was doing the dishes.

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am

Nice variety of specialty weapons!! Just from the looks of things - I would say that dinner doesn't have a chance!

Seriously - nice work on everything! Did you use a skew?
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Tom Sherman
Advisory Board Member

Postby Tom Sherman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:52 am

Good lookin kitchen tools Curt.

Return to “Spring 2016 - Spindles in the Kitchen”