Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Scoups

Mike Stafford

Scoups

Postby Mike Stafford » Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 am

I'll be the first to post something for this challenge- a few scoops. I guess they could be considered a spindle turning project.

While on the Woodturning Cruise I learned to turn scoops from Richard Raffan. They are a quick and easy project the way he taught me to do them. For a while I always ended my demos with a scoop because I could turn one in less than 5 minutes if things went well.

I haven't turned any scoops in several years so I thought I would give it a try for this challenge. Here are the results.

Scoops in mahogany, maple, cherry and chakte viga ranging in size from 2" in diameter to 3/4" in diameter. I turned the mahogany scoop first and it is a little thick, I forgot the bead detail which is why it is a little thick. Some of that wood would have been pared away while I was forming the bead. It would have helped if I started out with a longer piece of wood than I did.

I did remember to detail the end of the handles like Richard taught.

IMG_7942 mod (Small).JPG

IMG_7944 mod (Small).JPG
Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

No man has ever been killed by his wife while he was doing the dishes.

Curt Fuller

Re: Spring Challenge

Postby Curt Fuller » Fri May 06, 2016 11:43 am

Good looking scoops Mike. I've made a few of these over the years but not with such a clean look as yours.

Mike Stafford

Re: Scoups

Postby Mike Stafford » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks Curt.

Apparently I don't know how to spell scoops. :oops: I have no idea how the word became scoups. :shrug:

Perhaps a scoop when used for soup becomes a scoup. :bonk:
Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

No man has ever been killed by his wife while he was doing the dishes.

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Mike Stafford wrote:
Apparently I don't know how to spell scoops. :oops: I have no idea how the word became scoups. :shrug:

Perhaps a scoop when used for soup becomes a scoup. :bonk:

Have you ever thought about how many times your creativity as a writer and speller has been stifled by those two Merriam brothers and their friend Noah Webster? A soup scoup sounds like something everyone ought to have in their drawer!

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Well here is the scoop on scoup, or at least a partial scoop, as well as how you can get the full scoop on scoup if you want to sign up for the paid version of Websters unabridged dictionary. Search for scoup using Google and you go straight to the sales pitch. Use Yahoo and you get a teaser definition from Websters:
chiefly Scottish: to run with skips and leaps... and then the sales pitch.

Some of the others just assume you don't know how to spell and take you straight to "scout" or "scoop"

None of them asked why I have nothing better to do today.

Edited:
By the way I like your scoops in spite of your spelling.

Return to “Spring 2016 - Spindles in the Kitchen”