Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Spring Challenge

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Spring Challenge

Postby Robert Henrickson » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:36 am

Time for the new challenge.

Curt has passed the challenge-setting to me. I’ve made notes of suggestions that were made, so there are some topics on hand. This is one I’d suggested to Curt, and Mike Stafford did as well in Curt’s resignation thread.

Sorry about the delay, but tax time, photo problems, etc got in the way.

Let’s go functional, with a likely skew toward spindlework, although there is certainly no requirement to use a skew. The items I’ve included here in photos were all made with spindle or bowl gouges.

The items shown in photos here came from my kitchen counter or drawer.

So — KITCHEN UTENSILS – there’s considerable scope here:
masher
rolling pin
biscuit cutter
spurtle
muddler
honey dipper
spoon
spatula
tenderizer mallet
other??

The biscuit cutter may betray my relatively southern location – my sister uses the one I made for her daily and loves it; it sits on top of her flour canister. In some terms, it might be one of my most successful turnings.

The masher is not an elegant shape, but it came out of my grandmother’s kitchen drawer and so probably dates to the 1920s or 30s. Since it’s a family item, I’ve made cherry copies for my brother, sister, and daughter.

Likewise, the rolling pin was intended more for biscuits than piecrust.
Attachments
biscuit cutters sm.jpg
Biscuit cutters
mashers - ancestral and new sm.jpg
My grandmother's potato masher and my copy
rolling pin sm.jpg

Curt Fuller

Re: Spring Challenge

Postby Curt Fuller » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:14 pm

First, thanks Robert for taking on the Challenge. I've had my house and more importantly my shop area of my garage in complete disarray for about 6 weeks and probably a couple more weeks to come with a home improvement project that has spiraled out of control. But I look forward to jumping in when the universe gets back in order.

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Re: Spring Challenge

Postby Robert Henrickson » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Curt Fuller wrote:First, thanks Robert for taking on the Challenge. I've had my house and more importantly my shop area of my garage in complete disarray for about 6 weeks and probably a couple more weeks to come with a home improvement project that has spiraled out of control. But I look forward to jumping in when the universe gets back in order.

I can't say that is very encouraging -- I'm interviewing contractors to gut and completely redo my kitchen (cabinets etc are those installed when the house was built in 1952). Perhaps also not so good, since I got notification today that my house has just been re-assessed for property tax, without renovations.

Return to “Spring 2016 - Spindles in the Kitchen”