Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Laburnum hollow form-12-3-2017 TOTW

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Laburnum hollow form-12-3-2017 TOTW

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:58 pm

In my role as the webmaster for one of the clubs I am a member of, I get numerous inquiries through the club website. One of them was a gentleman who had cut down a decent size laburnum in his front year, and wanted to donate the wood to the club. Most of it was handed out to various club members over the next few meetings, but I did keep one half of the lower portion of the trunk, which was a decent size. I used a part of that for this hollow form.
It is about 6.5" tall and 5.5" wide. As you can see, there was some serious checking going on inside the tree, and because of that I didn't want to risk anything, and left the walls a little on the thick side. The surface was sanded to 240 grit and then I spent about 10 hours carving it by hand to achieve the texture.
In case anybody is drawn to any comparisons with John Jordan's work, that's where the inspiration for the surface texture and the orientation of the grain comes from. Obviously I am not John Jordan, but that's something to aspire to, I believe.
As usual, all C&C welcome.

Seems there is a problem with my image files. The files are about 130kB in size, but I get an error message saying they are too big (more than 500kB). Could one of the moderators please look into this?

Les Symonds

Re: Laburnum hollow form

Postby Les Symonds » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Laburnum.png

I managed to lift this image off the AWGB forum, Wolfgang....I hope that's ok.

Over here in the UK we're all of the opinion that this is a great form with equally great texturing, it would be such a shame for its image not to appear here.
Les

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Well, I'll second that this HF has very appealing form. As for the the texturing, I do think it is neat...though 10 hours of it would price it out! I mean, if I had 10 hours (plus the turning time) into a turning, it would be well over $1000. Now if you can get that kind of cash for a HF, more power to ya! :cool2: I would just shy away from it since it wouldn't be cost effective. That said, not everyone turns for money/profit. So, do what you like, and for what gives good results...which apparently, you just did.
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Wolfgang, there is a limit of 1000 pixels in either height or width in addition to the kb size. That may be why it's not accepting your photo.
I love that shape and with that Laburnum wood it's great for showing the sapwood around the neck. The textured surface looks very nice with that shape too, especially how they intersect the growth rings. I like the whole thing.

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am

Beautiful work!!

I think Curt is probably right about the image pixel size causing issues. That has been an on-going problem for us and has something to do with the Lightbox feature we use to display our images. Please email me the image(s) you wish to use and I will insert them into your post.
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Steve Mawson

Postby Steve Mawson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Put me on the list liking the form as well. I especially like the coloring of this timber which I have never seen before. Good work and do send a picture to Steve. The picture Les put up is fine but very small on my PC.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:34 am

Wow. I really love this one. Beautiful shape and perfect use of the sapwood on the rim. The texture adds so much in both visual and tactile interest. This one is a real winner for me. I hope we can get a better picture posted.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:02 am

I too like the texturing and the sapwood orientation. Also the sloped opening. Very nice piece overall.

As you probably know John also uses a wire brush (wheel actually) for creating a similar horizontal texture, holding the brush by hand with the piece turning. I'm wondering if you could create the same effect vertically with the wire wheel on a drill or side grinder, and with the piece stabilized on the lathe. Might reduce the 10 hours. (If I recall correctly he said the bristles must be steel, not brass.)

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:43 am

Well, firstly let me say thanks to all the positive feedback. It is good to know that every now and then I can hit a winner.
On the idea with the steel brush: I am not sure this would work. For starters, laburnum is a closed grain wood and very hard (2020 on the Janka scale, that's about twice as hard as your average oak). Therefore I don't think the brush will do anything other than maybe scratch the surface.
And even if it does do more, the marks from a steel brush would probably look very different from the deep grooves created by a carving tool. Having said that, it is an idea I've had myself. Believe me, I did not relish those 10 hours. It was hard work, and I had to stop after every hour so because my hand hurt.

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:48 am

I have resized the images to make them slightly smaller. Hope this works better now.
Attachments
laburnum-hollow-form-2-SMALLER.jpg
laburnum-hollow-form-1-smaller.jpg

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

Wolfgang, I took the liberty of quickly editing your pics...they deserved to be a little brighter! Hope you don't mind.

laburnum-hollow-form-1-smaller.jpg

laburnum-hollow-form-2-SMALLER.jpg

Michael Gibson

Postby Michael Gibson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

Wolfgang, this immediately caught my eye, and like you have been inspired by John Jordan's work, having even taking a week long class with him a few years ago. The form, and using the sapwood around the neck certainly brings JJ to mind.

Laburnum wood l know is extremely hard, and l am sure the hollowing and texturing wore you out, but you have pulled it off and made a wonderful piece, and that makes it my pick for TOTW :clap: :clap:

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

Congratulations on the TOTW! That's a beautiful hollowform.

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Laburnum hollow form-12-3-2017 TOTW

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

Congrats on winning the TOTW honors Wolfgang! Well deserved!! :clap:
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Josh Bowman
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Postby Josh Bowman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Congrats! Well deserved.

Les Symonds

Postby Les Symonds » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Nice one, Wolfgang, a well deserved accolade.
Les

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Chaps, I am delighted! I consider this quite an honour, having seen all the other wonderful great work displayed here on this forum. Thank you very much.

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Postby Tim Rinehart » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Very nice form, crisp texture and love the sapwood opening. Congrats on TOTW honors. The amount of time one puts into a piece like this is more of an adventure in my opinion, and when it comes to extensive embellishments, until you get really quick and really well known, you'd likely starve. I suspect you're not starving, so carve on and share with us these explorations by all means! ;)
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

Dick Kelly
Advisory Board Member

Postby Dick Kelly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 am

It's taken me a while to get here, but I want to add my congratulations for TOTW. I especially like the texturing oriented on the vertical axis -- it compliments the shape of your turning. -- Dick

Return to “Woodturning Discussion and Sharing”